Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Tablets, therapy & my recovery!

Happy Monday! Hope you all had a gorgeous weekend.

I had a lovely weekend with Jamie but this post is a bit of a reflective one. Before I start I need to point out that this is only my opinion and is by no means factual. Without a doubt different things work better for different people when it comes to recovering from any kind of mental illness.

My boyfriend Jamie and I recently had a discussion about me getting better. Well, we talk about it quite often but this time it really got me thinking. Is there a ‘cure’ to depression? Or is there one specific therapy that works better? The answer to both of these, in my opinion, is no. If there was a cure then there wouldn’t be people in my situation.

This week marks a year since I got officially diagnosed with depression by the doctor and I got my first prescription of antidepressants. So it’s a year since it got recognised there’s actually something wrong with me and I’m not just a really moody teenager!

Throughout this journey I have been on three different antidepressants and done several different therapies and counselling. This sounds (and feels) quite a lot, but in reality it’s not. It can take a long time to get the right balance in treatment because not everything works the same for everyone.
I started on an antidepressant called Sertraline. This did make me feel marginally better, I could function and live my life. I still wasn’t myself though. I can’t remember the last time I was really happy and I can count on one hand the times in the past year I have enjoyed myself even just a tiny bit.

Alongside the Sertraline I was referred to do Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. In these six sessions I was taught techniques such as working towards a plan rather than a feeling. I continue doing things even when I don’t want to because I might enjoy them when I’m there. This CBT came to a natural end and I tried my best in carrying these techniques on. This was good to a point, but stopped being quite so effective when I no longer enjoyed doing things I used to enjoy.

In October last year I took an overdose of my Sertraline, I was at a point in my life where I felt like nothing was getting better and I didn’t want to carry on. Luckily I didn’t succeed and in a way it was a cry for help. People thought I was getting better and that things were okay but they just weren't.

After this I stayed on Sertraline and ended up paying for my own counselling privately. I saw a bereavement therapist. This helped me solve so many issues I had regarding my dads death. Now I feel so much more at ease about it. I can talk about dad and tell people about him without getting upset about him every time. This counselling also helped me realise I remember a lot more about him that I previously thought I did! Again this came to a natural end, I had gone with the goal to work through my problems around my dad and I succeeded in this.

Early this year I started a new tablet called Mirtazapine, I take this of an evening and it worked alongside my Sertraline. I don’t think it has worked very well in helping my mood as I feel worse now than I ever have but it works wonders in helping me sleep! For the first time in as long as I can remember I have been able to sleep without having nightmares and waking up through the night.

Due to the way my mood has been I have recently been taken off my Sertraline and now am on Venlafaxine. I haven’t been on these tablets for long enough to make a judgement, it’s been less than two weeks and I feel awful most days but it is extremely common, especially in young people, that antidepressants can make you feel worse before they make you feel better. Alongside these tablets I am just starting a new of talking therapy.

I’m hoping more than ever that I start feeling better soon, and that I start to enjoy things again. All I want in life is to be happy and though there is no point dwelling on the past, I don’t want to have been through everything I have this past year and not have moved any further forward.

Love, hugs & kisses,


Ruby xxx

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment